Thursday, June 25, 2009

Progressive Dinner

Hey, this is my first blog...lol...and I was asked to write it yesterday (Wednesday, June 24), but there wasn't quite enough time...anyway...here it goes...

We've only been here a few days and just listening to the birds chirping all day long reminds me of the wonderful creation that God has made and I love it!

All is well...it's been raining quite a bit and it has cooled off the weather, so it's been beautiful! ;o) Actually, speaking of yesterday...it started to rain in the afternoon as we were leaving the village called Dushk (the same one we went to on Tues). We visited a few different families in that village to spend time with the people there.

Then we had another special adventure for dinner! There are many different countries represented here on the Albania Team that we are working with. So, for dinner we were able to learn about these different countries.

It was pouring while we traveled to the 1st house representing Paraguay and Equador. We heard traditional music from Paraguay and played a traditional game from Equador called, "Do you like your neighbors?" (which is a musical chairs type game where we scramble around to find a different seat). They served us 2 mini empanadas (which is a meat filled pastry)...delicioso!

It was still raining, but not quite as hard when we went to the 2nd house representing South Korea. We had to compete in a traditional game that I can't remember the name of, but its like "hacky sack," you have to keep the object (kind of like a small ball with tinsel) off the floor and see how many times you can kick it). Several of us couldn’t even do 2, but the winner did it 9 times and received a prize…I’ll keep that name a secret in case that person would like to share himself/herself ;o) Then we had a buffet style Korean meal. White rice with your choice of carrots, squashes, lettuce, peppers, and fried egg. Sweet & sour chicken and seaweed soup were also served for the main course.

The rain lightened up for our last stop representing Australia. We were given a quiz of different Aussie sayings to see how much we really knew. (So, don’t be a piker and you won’t cause a kafuffle…lol) For dessert, we were served a cake that was covered in chocolate and coconut along with coffee and hot tea to drink (she had peppermint…yummy!).

So, our progressive dinner took us to 3 different continents and I’ve been able to learn about more countries than I ever expected. ;o)

I wanted to thank all of you who’ve been praying for me. I have diabetes and I was concerned about how the food that we would be eating would affect my sugar levels and they have been just fine. Also, I have to take my medicine at the same time that I do at home so, if I take it at 8am and 8pm at home, means that I have to take it at 2pm and 2am here. It’s been hard, but please keep praying because I know that it’s only God who is able to guide me through this situation. <>< - Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment